How to apply for the NDIS

How to apply for the NDIS

You will only be able to access the NDIS if you meet all of the eligibility criteria, if the Scheme is available in your area and has been rolled out for your age group.

If you would like to become a National Disability Insurance Scheme participant and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can either:

Within the form you will be asked to confirm your identity and answer a number of questions to see if you meet the NDIS access requirements. You may also be asked for some additional information about your disability.

Once all the sections of your Access Request Form have been completed it must be submitted to the NDIA for consideration.

If your application has been approved you will need to wait until you are contacted by the NDIA or a Local Area Coordinator to arrange a planning meeting.

It is important to note that for some applicants, there can be a wait for your application to be processed or between being accepted as a NDIS participant and having your planning meeting.

While you wait you may be able to access privately-funded supports or get a referral from your General Practitioner (GP) to access specific services.

If you are waiting to be contacted about your first planning meeting and you have already been provided access to the NDIS, you can call 1800 800 110 to talk to someone about your situation.

For children under 7

Under the NDIS, the approach that supports children between the ages of 0-6 years of age who have a disability or developmental delay, is called Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI).

To access early intervention services, children aged 0-6 you don’t need a formal diagnosis of disability. 

If you have concerns about your child’s behaviour or development, you can call the NDIS hotline on 1800 800 110 and request access to ECEI support. 

Alternatively, you can contact an Early Childhood Partner directly. To find one near you, visit Disability Support Guide’s provider finder tool.  

You can also be referred by your GP, family nurse, paediatrician or child care educator.